Thursday, November 17, 2016

Sweet/Vicious Episode 1: The Blueprint Review. Laughing All The Way To Hell!

While it has never affected me in any way, there seems to be a taboo against making certain things funny. While I can sympathize with victims who might be offended by something related to the crime they may have suffered through (rape, murder of a loved one, some horrible childhood trauma), I'm also aware that I myself am immune to the ability to be offended (I lost the part of my soul required to be offended while watching G-Force) and, therefore, don't see the need for things like censorship and good taste when I can't really tell the difference to begin with. Now, with MTV, that once musically-inclined channel, trying to fill its timeslots with drama and actually beginning to succeed (Faking It, Teen Wolf, Scream), it seems timely that they would finally stumble across something that doesn't seem possible: A Date Rape Comedy. The scary part? Its kind of awesome.
Yes, readers, somehow, despite not being in some inverted universe where taste and decency have somehow switched, Sweet/Vicious is actually a pretty great comedy. It doesn't shy away from its subject matter, its characters are fun and interesting, the actual plot is intriguing and it somehow even manages to make murder funny. I'm not making that last part up! A murder is committed in the pilot episode and it leads to the funniest parts of the entire episode. I don't know if I should be faux insulted or just impressed!
As for bad, probably due to this still being an MTV show and, therefore, suffering from the usual bouts of bad writing and plotting, much of the main plot that feels like the writers are trying to stretch for the season are far too easy to figure out. Within thirty seconds of meeting Jules (Eliza Bennett), I knew she was a victim and within ten more minutes, I knew who the ultimate target of her wrath was going to be. While this didn't necessarily make me root for her less, it was kind of disheartening that the writers couldn't wait at least a couple of episodes to drop part of that bombshell. Maybe they, like myself, just don't have that much faith in their intended demographics' attention spans.
Whatever! The show is awesome and you should totally check it out. Some people will probably find offense in the whole Date Rape Can Be Funny premise, but, to be honest, when you fill it with this many interesting characters and know how to fire a joke right for the throat like this episode did time and again, you can safely judge it by its merits despite the discomfort it is trying to convey. Here's to hoping they manage to keep this momentum and the ironic testicular fortitude! Yes, I'm aware that I'm probably going to Hell for liking this show as much as I do. Maybe it will have better TV...

No comments:

Post a Comment